What to do when sadness is gnawing on your soul:
Welcome to Thursday. It’s 6:03, your alarm has been going off for several minutes, and you inexplicably have already been awake for two hours while your brain remembers all the shitty things you did a little over a decade ago.
It’ll be okay. We will get through this. Follow these instructions very closely and you will not use up the rest of your PTO:
1) cuddle on your pet cat (dogs are also basically acceptable) and tell him how everything is bullshit and what a brave handsome man he is. Do this for exactly five minutes then GET OUT OF BED. Do it fast so you’re very suddenly standing up. Balancing will distract you.
2) Put on the same business casual you wore to work yesterday (otherwise you’ll take forever picking clothes) but wear your favorite ridiculous tshirt underneath. Mine has Thor on it.
3) don’t mess around with your hair. The mirror is not your friend today.
3.5) grab headphones and sunglasses so you feel safe.
4) if you have five dollars to your name, screw making breakfast. Take yourself to the coffee shop and get one of those fancy drinks. Not super fatty and high caffeine, pick a happy medium so you don’t feel guilty/nervous. I get chai with a shot of espresso (dirty chai).
5) during your commute listen to something good. Preferably a song you enjoyed at age sixteen. NOT something sad, that’s just foolish. I usually choose Slayer for these occasions so I can practice air guitar in traffic.
6) no matter what you do, people are gonna notice that you look unwell. That is to be expected. Tell them, “I have allergies” because boundaries are a good idea most of the time. That being said, and this IS mandatory, tell someone you love and trust that you are having a hard time. Tell them they can help by going for a walk with you, or by watching cheesy tv with you- it’s important to instruct your helpers, because while they mean well, they often are baffled by strong sadness.
7) Be gentle with yourself. I mean it. Treat yourself the way you’d treat your bff if she was having a hard time. Forgive, go slow.
We’re gonna be ok.
Today I looked up some tags on tumblr and discovered that there is a massive amount of hilarious stuff on this site. I mean, I already knew that on some level, but this was just… wow.